Barracuda Networks today announced expanded public cloud functionality for the Barracuda Web Application Firewall and Barracuda NextGen Firewall.
The updated cloud generation firewalls allow for utility-based consumption and automated security controls for DevSecOps workflows, giving customers an easy migration path to public cloud. Barracuda will demonstrate its award-winning cloud generation firewalls during AWS re:Invent, Nov. 27- Dec. 1, in Las Vegas.
Earlier this year, Barracuda sponsored a survey revealing that more than 40 percent of respondents’ organizations are currently running a portion of their infrastructure in the public cloud. According to the survey, respondents cited easy integration with legacy technology (61%), strong protection of applications (54%), and strong protection of access to applications in the public cloud (48%) as important drivers for their cloud adoption.
Barracuda Cloud Generation Firewalls give customers flexibility to cost-effectively deploy security at critical points—in the cloud, in hybrid or multi-cloud environments, and throughout the development lifecycle. New capabilities include:
- Usage-based billing using the AWS Marketplace Metering Service Billing – Barracuda NextGen Firewall is now available as a metered billing service in the AWS Marketplace, joining the Barracuda Web Application Firewall, which became available with the same service last year.
- DevSecOps with Puppet – The REST API framework can be used to automate the configuration of the Barracuda Web Application Firewall. This integration enables cloud security and operations teams to codify their firewall policies as code so they can be tested and secured as part of the overall application delivery process. This benefits the business because it helps increase application velocity, security, and reliability.
“Perimeter-based firewalls create tightly-coupled environments that scale vertically, which makes perfect sense on-premises but is entirely the wrong model for the public cloud. This is really about using the right tool for the job,” said Tim Jefferson, Vice President, Public Cloud, Barracuda.
Barracuda Cloud Generation Firewalls are engineered to provide network and application security for cloud-only and hybrid-cloud environments. Organizations looking for scalability and automation benefits of the public cloud should demand cloud generation firewall functionality, including:
- Well-architected for the public cloud – Integrate directly with public cloud fabric, provide API integrations for DevOps tools and automation workflows, and centrally manage across hybrid environments. This gives customers all the benefits of the cloud without compromising their security posture.
- Support for cloud-specific use cases – Support unique requirements of the cloud including horizontal scalability, distributed policy sets, fully meshed connectivity, and north-south traffic management.
- Match Customer’s Cloud Consumption Models – Licensing that allows customers to deploy security in alignment with their current public cloud consumption model.
“Real-time, proactive security throughout the development process is critical for tighter application security in today’s threat environment,” Samm DiStasio, vice president, business development, Puppet. “Barracuda is our first security partner in public cloud to help us bridge the security gap in DevOps. Our integration with Barracuda Web Application Firewall helps speed up application delivery by automating management of critical security policies.”
“We are using Barracuda firewalls provisioned through the AWS Marketplace to effectively guard our applications against web-based attacks and application-layer attacks,” said Max Longin, Founding Partner, Club Automation. “The Barracuda solution plugs into our AWS environment, and is doing its job of minimizing the attack surface area and helping our customers keep club member cardholder data protected.”